E11 : Can I catch a freakin' break?
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” . . .
No, that’s not recent media reporting of Kardashian-loving Millennials who demand to be CEO before they’re 25...but Socrates waxing lyrical on young people over two and a half thousand years ago!
Life Collective’s Kristen Boschma catches up with Bastion Effects' Vanessa Condemi and Bastion EBAs' Clare Pearce and David Parr, three selfsame Millennials and finds out what it takes to catch a freakin’ break in today’s job market.
LISTEN TO EPISODE 11 HERE
Links to some of the things Vanessa, Clare and David touched on:
- Bastion Bridge is the Collective's intern program, giving students and recent graduates an immersive and supportive introduction to the working world.
- This is what Clare has learnt from her career interning before she got her first job in the comms biz:
- For those of us that have completed numerous internships, we know the value of these opportunities can't be underestimated. But you have to make sure to look for organisations that speak to your interests, first and foremost. Below is a list of sites I used to get my start:
- I learned that one of the most important factors when going for an internship, or your first job, is having an up-to-date and interesting LinkedIn profile, that gives a little insight into you. Here’s an article of tips and facts about LinkedIn that I found helpful when considering what's important in a profile.
- I'm a multipotentialite, which means I have numerous interests and I'm not yet ready to specialise. And I've only just recently become okay with this. The following is a Ted Talk by Emilie Wapnick that reminded me that it's okay to not know exactly what you want to do when you grow up - or in your first few jobs.
- Employees at Bastion Collective can apply to do the Bastion Degree. It's an intense six-month course that teaches you about... you. It has literally transformed and changed lives. To do the course, you need to work for Bastion. Maybe one of these roles could be for you:https://www.bastioncollective.com/work-with-us/
You can email us at email@example.com