E17: Is success the start or the end point?
Michelle Cox asks three very different people what their definition of success is and got three very different perspectives.
LISTEN TO EPISODE 17 HERE
Links to some of the things Nick, Catherine and Adam touched on:
- Here are a couple of definitions Michelle introduced into the discussion that’ll get you thinking about success differently:
- Living treasure, poet, writer, actress, director, playwright, civil rights activist, composer and polyglot Maya Angelou has this to say on the subject - “success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it”. More about Maya here
- Sir Winston Churchill said “success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm”. He’d know...he survived two world wars and two goes at being British PM. More quotes and speeches from Winston Churchill on success here
- Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian are famous for being famous and that’s the litmus test for success these days...or so it would seem. Millennial Vanessa Condemi challenges the KK naysayers and tells why she will love Kimmy K forever in E11 of Life Collective - listen in here
- Our panelists referenced a couple of TED Talks that have helped form their thoughts on success and what it means for them
- Nick quoted Nigel Marsh - author of Fat, Forty, and Fired: One Man's Frank, Funny, and Inspiring Account of Losing His Job and Finding His Life - who said “there are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.” Watch Nigel’s TED Talk here
- Nick also cited social psychologist Amy Cuddy’s now famous TED Talk all about faking it till you become it. Watch Amy’s TED Talk here
- There’s a bunch of TED Talks on success - 28 in fact - watch ‘em here
- Just because he’s worth billions doesn’t mean he doesn’t feel like a fraud all of the time. Imposter syndrome explained by self-confessed sufferer Atlassian CEO Mike Cannon Brookes. Some media coverage from the time. TED Talk still not available.
- Adam talks of Rupert Murdoch’s Andrew Olle Media Lecture:
- 2002 Andrew Olle Media Lecture - Lachlan Murdoch
- Adelaide Crows champion Simon Goodwin was inducted to the AFL Hall of Fame in June 2017 - he acknowledge wanting to prove others wrong drove him to succeed on the footy field. Watch his address here
Like what we're doing? Got questions? Drop us a line at email@example.com