E2 Is Social Media Really That Social?
We've all seen it or done it: you're at dinner and at some magic point in the night, everyone reaches for their phone and is quickly immersed in their own private world of cat videos, K-pop, art directed dinner or sport.
We hope you enjoyed the Podcast. Here are some links to some of the things Karalee, Doris and Natalie touched on this edition:
- Karalee mentioned Christopher J Ferguson and Danah Boyd who are quoted in this article published by the Pew Research Centre:
- Millennials will benefit and suffer due to their hyperconnected lives
- By Janna Anderson And Lee Rainie.
- In a survey conducted by the Pew Research Centre about the future of the internet, technology experts and stakeholders were fairly evenly split as to whether the younger generation’s always-on connection to people and information will turn out to be a net positive or a net negative by 2020.
- More about the Pew Research Centre: Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world.
- More about Christopher J Ferguson: Christopher J Ferguson is associate professor and department chair of psychology at Stetson University, Texas.
- More about danah boyd: dana boyd is a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research and the founder of Data & Society.
- Fake news in the news - how the mainstream media is reporting it, what Google and Facebook are doing about it:
- How Fake News Goes Viral: A Case Study - The New York Times - 20 November 2016
- Reddit Is On A Mission To Dispute Fake News Fast Company - 14 March 2017
- In Race Against Fake News, Google and Facebook Stroll to the Starting Line - The New York Times - 25 January 2017
- What is Google Assistant, how does it work, and which devices offer it? - Pocket Link - 17 May 2017
- Neighbours...not a fan? Here are some fast facts to catch you up:
To rate, download and subscribe to Life Collective, jump onto iTunes and catch new episodes and hear more interesting conversations we’re having about life and stuff.